There are dozens of essential oils that in one way or another can be beneficial to your health. What could be the best essential oils for health? The following are considered the 5 most important essential oils that you should be using daily to help ensure that you stay vigorous and disease-free:
What are the 5 Best Essential Oils for Health?
In descending order of oil “must-haves”, they are:
Lemon Essential Oil
Lemon is well known as a cleanser, both externally to purify the skin as well as internally. It’s good for cleansing the lymphatic system and other body systems as well as the gall bladder. It also supports the digestion of fats.
Here are some ways you can use Lemon Essential Oil:
Lemon oil is deeply nourishing to the skin. It can help to hydrate damaged skin and diminish acne. Mix a few drops with baking soda or raw honey and use it with water as a natural face wash or cleanser.
Immune system support – To quickly get rid of a cold, combine a few drops of lemon EO with organic coconut oil and rub it onto your neck.
To fight depression – Add some lemon EO to an essential oil diffuser and allow the vapors to float into the air and lift your mood.
For metabolism support and fat loss – Drink 2 drops of lemon EO in a glass of water 3 times a day to support healthy metabolism and weight control.
Whiten teeth – Thoroughly mix one tablespoon each of coconut oil and baking soda, then add a couple of drops of lemon essential oil. Rub or brush some onto your teeth for 2 minutes, then rinse your mouth.
Natural household disinfectant – As a non-toxic alternative to chlorine and other chemical cleaners: into a 16-oz. spray bottle place 40 drops of lemon oil and 20 drops of tea tree oil. Add 1/4 cup white vinegar and top up with purified water. Use this to clean your kitchen countertops and bathroom tiles.
Clean greasy hands – Working on a car engine can leave the hands very difficult to clean. To put your soap into overdrive, add a few drops of lemon oil to get rid of stubborn grease and dirt.
For fresh-smelling laundry – If you forgot your laundry in the washer, just add a few drops of lemon oil to the water to get rid of nasty smells.
Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil (TTO) is well known for its antiseptic and anti-inflammatory actions. It can be used as an ingredient in DIY household and cosmetic products as well as for personal health. It’s one of the most powerful anti-microbial oils known!
Natural-health practitioners will often prescribe essential oils such as oregano oil and tea tree oil in place of conventional medications. These oils are just as effective, yet they come without the adverse side effects of drugs.
Here are some ways you can use tea tree oil to benefit your health and your home:
1. For Eczema and Psoriasis: Thanks to tea tree oil’s ability to relieve any inflammatory skin condition, it makes an effective natural treatment for conditions such as eczema and psoriasis.
To try it, mix one teaspoon of coconut oil, 5 drops of lavender oil and 5 drops of tea tree oil. Apply this lotion to the affected area. It’s probably the best essential oil for rashes and psoriasis.
2. For Ringworm and Toenail Fungus: Tea tree oil can kill off fungal infections and parasites. It’s an effective remedy for athletes’ foot, toenail fungus and ringworm. You can use it undiluted – use a clean cotton swab to apply it to the affected area.
TTO has also been helpful in treating and removing warts: apply the tea tree oil directly on the area once or twice a day, for one month.
3. To Treat Acne: Tea tree oil is considered one of the most effective natural home remedies for acne. Make your own homemade acne face wash by mixing 5 drops of tea tree EO with 2 teaspoons of raw honey. Rub this mixture onto your face, leave it on for 1 minute, then rinse with warm water.
4. For Healthy Hair and Scalp: TTO has many health benefits for the hair and scalp. As with coconut oil, TTO is able to soothe dry, flaky skin and eliminate dandruff. To make a good homemade hair wash, take some coconut milk and aloe vera gel, then mix in several drops of tea tree essential oil and other EOs such as lavender or rosemary.
5. To Treat Cuts and Infections: For treating a wound, TTO mixed with lavender EO is an excellent homemade “ointment”. Make sure that you first clean the wound or cut with water and (if necessary) hydrogen peroxide, then apply some TTO and cover with a bandage to avoid infection.
Make your own Toothpaste!
6. For Making Your Own Toothpaste: Because of TTO’s ability to destroy bacteria while it soothes inflamed skin, it makes a key ingredient in homemade mouthwash and toothpaste. It’s known to help reduce tooth decay and the bleeding of gums.
To make an excellent homemade toothpaste, mix equal parts of coconut oil and baking soda (e.g., one tablespoon of each), then add 5-10 drops of tea tree oil. For a refreshing change, add a few drops of peppermint EO.
7. To Fight Cancer: TTO and frankincense oil have both been proven to effectively fight cancer. To treat an abnormal skin lesion, combine a few drops of frankincense oil, TTO and raspberry seed oil; apply this to the affected area 3 times daily.
8. For a Homemade Deodorant: Tea tree oil is great for eliminating body odor. Its anti-microbial properties destroy the bacteria that cause body odor. Again, you can mix some coconut oil and baking soda together with a few drops of TTO to make your own effective homemade deodorant.
9 . As a Deodorizer: If you are actively involved in sports, you can place some drops of TTO or lemon EO in your shoes or tog bag to keep them smelling fresh.
10. To Eliminate Mold: Mold infestation is a common problem in many homes. Often, people are not even aware that it’s there. If you don’t have a diffuser, consider getting one. By diffusing tea tree oil into the air inside your home, you can help eliminate mold and other bacteria.
You can also spray a TTO solution around your toilet and washing machine, onto your shower curtains and around your dishwasher to kill off mold.
11. As a Household Cleaner: Tea tree oil is fantastic as a household cleaner. It has potent anti-microbial properties that can kill off bad bacteria in your home. To make your own household cleanser, all you need is a few drops of TTO, lemon EO and a little white vinegar in water; use this blend in a GLASS spray bottle to clean your kitchen counter-tops, appliances, sinks, shower and toilet.
Number 3 in our list of five best essential oils for health is peppermint oil. This is one of the most versatile essential oils, along with lavender essential oil. There are very few health issues that peppermint EO cannot help fix!
Amongst other things, peppermint oil can be used to relieve nausea, soothe many digestive issues and relieve sore muscles when used topically. Here are more ways to use peppermint essential oil to improve your health:
1. Relief of Muscle Pain: Peppermint EO is very effective in relieving muscle soreness, backache and tension headaches. Conditions such as fibromyalgia respond very well to peppermint EO applied topically.
2. Sinus and Throat Care: Inhaling peppermint oil vapors can very quickly unclog sinuses and relieve a scratchy throat. It acts as an expectorant and can provide relief from coughs and colds, sinusitis, bronchitis and asthma.
3. Relieve Joint Pain: To get relief from aching joints, apply a mixture of peppermint and lavender EOs to the affected area for a cooling effect.
4. Relief from Allergies: Peppermint EO is very effective in clearing out pollen and nasal muck during allergy season. You can use it in a diffuser along with clove and eucalyptus EOs to help relieve allergy symptoms.
5. Reducing Fevers: Because of peppermint oil’s refreshing cooling effects, it’s very effective in lowering a fever, especially with children. As an alternative treatment to aspirin or other drugs, mix some peppermint EO with coconut oil and rub the neck and the soles of the feet to help stabilize a fever.
6. For Healthy Skin: As a calming treatment for skin inflammation, mix a little peppermint oil into some body lotion or lip balm to provide a pleasant, cooling sensation. A mixture of peppermint and lavender EOs applied topically can effectively treat psoriasis and eczema outbreaks.
7. Treating Acne: Thanks to peppermint oil’s powerful anti-microbial properties, it’s an excellent ingredient to use as a natural acne cure.
8. Curing Headaches: There are several factors that can lead to migraines and tension headaches. Peppermint oil has the ability to relax tense muscles and improve circulation, making it an excellent natural treatment for headaches and migraines. The oil can be applied to the temples and forehead, either on its own or with lavender EO.
9. Relief from Sunburn: Peppermint oil can relieve the pain of sunburn and hydrate burnt skin. Mix a few drops with a little coconut oil and apply it to the affected area to support healthy skin renewal and relieve pain.
Homemade Sunburn Spray Recipe:
Make it so:
1. Place a medium-sized saucepan over moderate heat; pour in 2 inches of water.
2. Into a glass jar, place the aloe vera juice and coconut oil; place the jar into the saucepan and stir until the mixture is melted and emulsified.
3. Remove the emulsion from the saucepan and stir in the essential oils until totally combined.
4. Transfer to a spray bottle and store in a cool, dark place.
10. Treat IBS and Indigestion: An easy, natural way to treat IBS effectively is to take peppermint oil capsules.
Peppermint oil can also reduce spasms of the colon because of its ability to relax the intestinal muscles. What can also help is to drink some water, with one drop of peppermint oil added, before your meals.
11. Reduce Cavities and Freshen Breath: Peppermint has been used as a natural breath freshener for centuries. It’s also been proven to reduce cavities.
12. For Healthy Hair: Many high-quality hair care products contain peppermint oil because of its ability to nourish and naturally thicken damaged hair. Try adding some peppermint oil to your regular shampoo. Alternatively, you might like to make your own chemical-free, homemade shampoo that can help stop thinning hair:
Homemade Shampoo Recipe
You will need:
Combine all the ingredients in a mixing bowl and stir until thoroughly blended. Pour into an 8-oz. glass jar or BPA-free plastic dispenser bottle and use to wash your hair.
13. To Soothe an Itch: To deal with an itchy rash or skin irritation from poison ivy, applying a mixture of peppermint and lavender EOs can help to cool and soothe itchy skin.
14. Natural Insect Repellent: Ants, cockroaches, fleas, mosquitoes and many other household pests – including mice – hate peppermint oil. To keep mosquitoes from bugging you, pour some witch hazel into a small spray bottle and add a few drops of peppermint EO; shake it well before spraying onto your skin.
Our second-most-important essential oil is lavender oil. Lavender has traditionally been used to treat nerve-related problems such as migraines, depression, stress and anxiety.
One of the most effective natural remedies for headache relief is to rub a combination of lavender and peppermint EOs onto the back of the neck and the temples, and also inhaling it.
Lavender oil is one of the best essential oils for skin care. This is most likely thanks to its powerful antioxidant and anti-microbial properties, especially when mixed with aloe vera gel or coconut oil.
Just 10 drops of lavender EO mixed with one ounce of either of those carriers can soothe the worst sunburn and bring rapid relief to dry skin, minor cuts and scrapes.
The last of our 5 best essential oils for health is frankincense. Diffusing frankincense EO in a room is said to induce a feeling of relaxation, satisfaction and peace.
It is certainly known to be a powerful astringent. If you’re looking to bring a more youthful appearance to aging skin, frankincense essential oil can lift and tighten skin, reducing the appearance of large pores and diminishing wrinkles.
To reduce the pain associated with conditions such as arthritis, massage some frankincense EO into the painful area. To relieve the discomfort of asthma, try diffusing the oil in your home.
These are among the best essential oils for health and beauty. The list is by no means exhaustive but they’re the most important essential oils to have in your home.
Which Brand of Essential Oils is Best?
When deciding which essential oils brand you should buy, consider quality before cost. It takes a huge amount of plant material to produce a little bottle of oil. Good quality doesn’t come cheap.
Don’t be fooled by retailers who put the same price tag on all their oils; production costs differ vastly between different plant oils. The same applies when you see essential oils offered at very low prices – this is unrealistic.
It’s comforting to know that, because the oils are so concentrated and such a small amount is required for most uses, even the more pricey ones become quite cost-effective in the long run.
Concern about purity is a valid one. There are many opportunities for oils to be adulterated during the course of their production. This is why it is so important to find a reputable source for the essential oils that you are planning to buy.
A renowned authority in the field of essential oils is Dr. Josh Axe, a doctor of natural medicine who has a passion for helping people get well naturally. The essential oils brand he stocks in his online store is called Ancient Apothecary.
Ancient Apothecary essential oils are 100% therapeutic grade and certified organic by the USDA.
You can purchase individual EOs as well as essential oil blends and kits from the Dr. Axe website. You’ll be pleased to find that the 5 best essential oils for health are available as a convenient Essential Oils Starter Kit.
Like to learn more about essential oils? Read about Dr. Axe’s Online Course Certification Training.