For millennia humans have been consuming cultured dairy products and other traditional foods known for their health benefits. One ancient food that the world now acknowledges for its powerful healing properties is bone broth. Beef and chicken bone broth benefits are both wide-ranging and numerous.
What makes Chicken Bone Broth Benefits so unique?
It’s no coincidence that doctors and moms recommend chicken soup (broth) for someone who is ill. All bone broths, whether chicken, beef, lamb or fish, are easily digestible, rich in flavor and highly nutritious. This concentrated goodness promotes natural healing.
Parts of an animal that one doesn’t usually eat directly – tendons, ligaments, bones and even feet – contain a wealth of nutrients. Simmering these body parts over a period of 24 – 48 hours causes them to release a blend of healing ingredients including collagen and amino acids such as glycine, glutamine and proline – at least 19 aminos in all. These nutrients have the power to dramatically transform your health for the better.
Apart from being rich in collagen and protein, bone broth contains minerals that are in forms that your body can easily absorb. These include calcium, magnesium, phosphorus, sulphur and silicon, amongst others.
Why is Chicken Broth so beneficial for colds and flu?
The amino acids that result from producing chicken broth improve digestion and reduce inflammation in the respiratory system and elsewhere. Bone broth has also shown to boost the immune system and heal disorders such as arthritis, allergies and asthma.
Here are the 6 Main Beef and Chicken Bone Broth Benefits:
1. Joint Protection: Bone broth is a major source of natural collagen, a protein found in animal bones, ligaments, cartilage, tendons, bone marrow and skin. As we age, our cartilage diminishes. Collagen from bone broth absorbs readily to help restore damaged cartilage.
One of the most joint-friendly constituents of bone broth is gelatin. This acts as a soft cushion between the bones of a joint and helps them slide smoothly without causing friction. Athletes have reported improved performance after having supplemented with collagen over a period of several weeks.
2. Beneficial for the Gut: Gelatin helps fight food sensitivities and restores the strength of the gut lining. It also supports gut flora and helps keep inflammation under control.
Some foods can be difficult to break down completely; however, bone broth digests easily and is calming to the digestive system.
3. Immune System Support: We are told that the major portion of the immune system is located in the colon. The remarkable way in which bone broth supports gut health means it also supports a healthy immune system.
Consuming bone broth is an excellent way to restore gut health and heal leaky gut. It re-builds the tissue that lines the digestive tract, protecting the delicate intestinal wall from unhealthy bacteria.
Bone Broth for Graceful Aging
4. Supports Healthy, Glowing Skin: Collagen helps form compounds such as elastin that are responsible for maintaining the skin’s youthful appearance, tone and texture. In short, it fights the signs of aging. People who consume foods rich in collagen report a decrease in cellulite, since cellulite forms when there is a lack of connective tissue, resulting in a loss of skin tone.
5. Supports Healthy Metabolism: The amino acids contained in bone broth have numerous roles in supporting a healthy metabolism. They help support bone density, repair and build muscle and connective tissue (promote anabolism) and boost the absorption and synthesis of nutrients.
The glycine in collagen plays a role in slowing down the aging process by boosting the body’s use of antioxidants. Another metabolism-protecting component of bone broth is glutamine, as it helps us maintain energy by delivering nutrients to our cells.
The amino acid arginine helps to improve circulation by relaxing the blood vessels, thereby sending nutrient-rich blood to the cells and supporting healthy wound healing.
6. Boosts Detoxification: In today’s world, we are bombarded with toxic chemicals and gases, synthetic additives and heavy metals from all quarters. While our bodies have their own built-in mechanism to eliminate such toxic materials, this flood of chemicals can become overwhelming.
Since bone broth supports the liver in removing toxins and helps the digestive system eliminate waste, you can see it as a powerful detoxification agent.
Where to Buy Bone Broth
Many people choose to make their own bone broth, although this involves a lengthy cooking period – up to 48 hours or more. However, if you want to go this route, you’ll get the best results by using a slow cooker.
Where to Buy Organic Bone Broth
To save yourself a lot of trouble – with almost no waiting – you can buy organic bone broth online. They are available in liquid or powder form.
Bone Broth Powder: Dr. Axe Bone Broth Protein Powder, as well as organic collagen powder, can be ordered from the DrAxe.com website. Dr. Axe is a co-founder of Ancient Nutrition, a supplement company that produces organic chicken and beef bone broth powder. You can enjoy these protein and collagen powders in a variety of delicious flavors, even vanilla and chocolate!
Liquid Bone Broth: For ready-made bone broth, you can’t beat Kettle & Fire bone broth. The K & F company was established by 2 brothers who have a passion for healthy living. To make their bone broth, they only use bones from organically-raised chickens and 100% pasture-raised cattle.
Kettle & Fire bone broth is vacuum-packed and therefore has a long shelf life, without the need for preservatives or additives. They source the bones from small, family-run farms.
Whether you make your own bone broth or buy online, the beef and chicken bone broth benefits are yours to enjoy!